Luke has been involved in health professional regulation at a state and national level and has acted as an external Masters thesis examiner for universities in Australia and New Zealand. Luke is also on the advisory panel for Chronic Pain Australia and the peer-review panel for an international scientific journal and has published several research papers, articles and a book chapter on manual and movement therapy treatments for neuromusculoskeletal pain.
An early participant in ‘Health 2.0’ and the growing international online professional discussion communities, and Luke also subsequently become involved in a number of online professional and patient education initiatives.
In his clinical practice, Luke has a particular interest in patient-centered approaches to manual and movement therapy and helping people suffering from chronic, persistent musculoskeletal and neuropathic pain.
Luke also practices at Sydney Osteopathic Medicine in the CBD.
- Chronic Pain Association of Australia, Scientific Advisory Panel Member, 2010-pr
- Osteopathy Board of Australia, Board Member, 2009-12
- Chiropractic and Osteopaths Board of South Australia, Board Member, 2009-2010
- Australian Osteopathic Council , Board Member, 2009-2010
- Research and Treatment Bulletin, International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine (IJOM),2009-pr
- Manuscript peer-reviewer, International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine (IJOM), 2008-12
- External Master’s thesis examiner, Unitec Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand, 2008-10
- External Master’s thesis examiner, Victoria University of Technology, Melbourne, 2008-12
- Research consultant, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, 2008
- Research consultant, Centre Européen d’Enseignement Supérieur de l’Ostéopathie, Paris, 2007-10
Assorted PublicationsPeer-reviewed Papers
- Zegarra-Parodi R, Rickards LD, Renard EO. (2011) Measurement of Cranial Palpation Pressures used by Qualified Osteopaths- A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Physical Therapy. 2011;3(2):38-44.
- Rickards LD. Masterclass – Therapeutic needling in osteopathic practice: An evidence-informed perspective. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2009;12:2-13.
- Zegarra-Parodi R, de Chauvigny de Blot P, Rickards LD, Renard EO. Quantifying the effect of a standardized protocol for diagnostic palpation of the fronto-malar suture on palpation pressures used by osteopathy students. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2009;109:79-85.
- McCarthy S, Rickards LD, Lucas N. Using the concept of ideomotor therapy in the treatment of a patient with chronic neck pain: a single system research design. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2007;10:104-112.
- Rickards, LD. The effectiveness of non-invasive treatments for active myofascial trigger point pain: A systematic review of the literature. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2006;9:120-136.
- Rickards LD. Effectiveness of non-invasive treatments for active myofascial trigger point pain: A systematic review. In: Huijbregts P, Dommerholt J (Eds). Myofascial Trigger Points: Pathophysiology, Evidence-Informed Diagnosis and Management. Boston: Jones & Bartlett; 2009.
- Rickards LD, Lucas NP, Moran R. Pain Management Clinical Handbook for Acupuncturists. Auckland: Vertigo; 2010: ISBN 978-0-9806192-7-0